Husband: Leonard Fouts
Born: 1784/1785 in NC
Died: after 1850 in Murray Co, GA
!NOTES:Marty Grant's 5th Great Grand Uncle.;
!NOTES:Leonard Fouts appeared in Ashe County in 1800. He may be a son of John Leonard Fouts and Catherine Shearer. However there are other possibilities. He was born ca 1780 in PA (per 1850 census) or more likely in NC. If John L. is his father, then he was probably born in Rowan County, NC;
!CENSUS:1787 Wilkes Co, NC pg 171 w/John FOUTS age -21 (1766/1787);
!CENSUS:1790 Wilkes Co, NC pg 125 w/John FOUTS age -16 (1774/90);
!ENTRY:12 Feb 1800 Ashe Co, NC Land Entries # 17 Lenard FOUTS, 150a Bever Creek on Andrew YOUNGs line;
!ENTRY:11 May 1802 Ashe Co, NC Land Entries # 701 Lenard FOUTS, 200a Bair Creek of New River, White Spring Nob Branch;
!CENSUS:1810 Ashe Co, NC pg 69 L. Fouts age 26-44 (1765/84) or 16-25 (1784/94)
!NAMED:18 Aug 1819 Ashe Co, NC Land Entries # 3323 Joseph ROLAND, 50a S Bever Creek adj Lenard FOUTS ...;
!CENSUS:1830 Ashe Co., NC pg 32 Leonard Fouts age 50-59 (1770/80)
!CENSUS:1850 Mortality Schedule - Murray Co., GA
Leonard Fouts 70 married, b. PA, died Nov (1849), Farmer died of Consumption. Sick 10 years;
!NOTES:Maiden name YOUNCE. Source?;
!CENSUS:1810 Ashe Co, NC pg 69 w/L. Fouts age 16-25 (1784/94)
!CENSUS:1830 Ashe Co., NC pg 32 w/Leonard Fouts age 40-49 (1780/90)
!CENSUS:1850 Murray Co., GA # ---/1474
Sarah Foutts 65 NC
Sarah Johnson 31 NC
Nancy Glimpse 21
Lucy A. 1 GA
!NOTES:Leonard Fouts died in 1849 in Murray Co., GA. He was listed as married. The 1850 census shows Sarah Fouts, an apparent widow. She is probably his widow, though that isn't proven, but it seems very likely.
!CHILDREN:The 1810 and 1830 census show several children for Leonard Fouts. Unfortunately he is missing in 1820 and 1840 which makes census analysis difficult. No primary record has been found yet that names any of his children. However, I believe that Solomon and Noah are certainly his as they were both in Murray Co., GA when he was, and they were neighbors to widow Sarah Fouts in 1850.
1. Unknown son c1800/10. Home in 1810 (0-9). x in 1820. Home in 1830 (20-29). x in 1840. This is probably Solomon Fouts (c1805) who was next to Sarah in 1850.
2. Unknown son c1800/10. Home in 1810 (0-9). x in 1820. Home in 1830 (20-29). x in 1840. This is possibly John P. Fouts (c1809) who was in Ashe Co., NC in 1840 and Gilmer Co., GA in 1850. I have no direct proof that he is Leonard's son, but he was associated with Jacob Fouts (c1786) family, so definitely part of the same extended Fouts family.
3. Unknown son c1815/20. x in 1820. Home in 1830 (10-14). x in 1840.
4. Unknown son c1820/25. Home in 1830 (5-9). x in 1840. This is probably Noah Fouts (c1825) who was next to Sarah in 1850.
1. Unknown daughter c1800/10. Home in 1810 (0-9). x in 1820. x in 1830. x in 1840.
2. Unknown daughter c1810/15. x in 1820. Home in 1830 (15-19). x in 1840.
3. Unknown daughter c1810/15. x in 1820. Home in 1830 (15-19). x in 1840.
4. Unknown daughter c1815/20. x in 1820. Home in 1830 (10-14). x in 1840. This could be Sarah Johnson (c1819 NC) who was with widow Sarah Fouts in 1850, but I don't know if Sarah Johnson was a Fouts by birth, and a widow Johnson by 1850.
Revised: January 15, 2023
Copyright © 1996-2023 Marvin A. Grant, Jr. All rights reserved.