A History of the Campbell Families of Marion and Dillon Counties,
South Carolina, by Marvin A. Grant, Jr. © 2004
Old Marion District/County South Carolina contained the present day
counties of Marion and Dillon and the eastern half of what is now
Florence County. There were many Campbell families living there in the
1800's and 1900's. Many are related, but there do seem to be several
"sets" of them who were not connected to the others. I've attempted to
document them all, white and black. I've traced most lines as far back
as I could, and as recent as the early 1900's when possible, and some
lines to the present day.
- Photographs, maps
- Chapter 1 - Are they all related?
- Chapter 2 - John Campbell (1752) and Ann Cribb (1757) of Maiden Down
- Chapter 3 - Archibald Campbell (1780/90) and Ann (—) of Big Swamp
- Chapter 4 - Catherine Campbell (c1770), widow of ? (Dillon County)
- Chapter 5 - Edward Campbell (1760/65) and Mary McLellan (Dillon County)
- Chapter 6 - Dempsey Campbell (c1775) and Mary (—) (Dillon and Marion
- Chapter 7 - Hugh A. Campbell (1840-1901) and Sarah A. McLean (Dillon
- Chapter 8 - James Campbell (1765/74-1816) and Elizabeth Wilson (Florence
- Chapter 9 - Rev. James B. Campbell (1837-1907) and Elizabeth Ervinia
Richardson (Marion County)
- Chapter 10 - John Campbell (1787) and Mary Lewis and Catherine Dove
- Chapter 11 - Lydia Campbell (c1785), widow of ? (Marion and Dillon County)
- Chapter 12 - Mary J. (1830), widow of (—) Hodge, James Jackson and (—)
Campbell (Marion County)
- Chapter 13 - Peter Campbell (bef 1755-1827) of Campbell’s Bridge (Dillon
- Chapter 14 - Other Campbell Families (Marion, Dillon and Florence and
- Chapter 15 - African American Campbell Families (Marion, Dillon and
- Appendix A - Census Records 1790-1900. All the Campbells in the area on
the 1790 through 1900 census.
- Appendix B - Campbell Soldiers - Campbells who served in the War of 1812
and the Civil War.
- Appendix C - The Campbell Cemetery at Maiden Down (Marion County)
- Index - Full name index, including maiden names when known.
- Physical Details:
- Edition: Second (24 Nov 2004); originally published April 2004.
- Binding: Perfect (Paperback)
- Pages: 645
- Size: 8.5 x 11 in.
- Library of Congress Control Number: 2008274936
Click here to find this book in a library near you.
(Note, if your local library doesn't have a copy and you think
they'd benefit from it, please buy them one!)
To Order Online (Printed or Download):
You may order from the publisher and pay via Credit Card, Debit Card
or PayPal. They do not accept cash, check or money orders. Click below
to order online or to preview the book.
Printed Book, $29.00
E-Book (PDF), $10.00
To Order via Snail-Mail
(Printed Edition only):
If you wish to pay by check or money order you must
order it from me via snail-mail. Send
$33.50 to me at: Marty Grant, 3291 Alton Phillips Road,
Kinston, NC 28504. The price for snail-mail orders includes shipping and
handling. Once your check has cleared I will order the book for you and
have it shipped to your address.
Allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.