George Family History. Descendants of Col. John George (1603-1679)
of England and Virginia (Two Vols.), by Marvin A. Grant, Jr. © 2006
John George was born ca 1603 in England. As a young man he and his wife
Jane came to Virginia and lived in Charles City County. After a few
years they moved to Isle of Wight County. After Jane's death, John
married Ann. John George died in 1679 leaving one son (Isaac) and two
daughters (Sarah and Rebecca). John's descendants soon moved to other
parts of Virginia and eventually to other states. The Col. John George
family is probably the second largest George family in Virginia, with
Nicholas George's family being the largest (of Lancaster County). Recent
DNA testing has proven that Nicholas and John were not brothers as once
Volume One contains a fully documented and fully indexed family
history following each branch of the family as far as possible. Volume
Two contains transcripts and scans of original documents such as deeds,
letters, bible records, etc. It is also fully indexed.
If ordering online be sure to order both volumes as they are two
separate items that must be added to your shopping cart. (The price
listed above in red is for both volumes.) Of course you don't have to
purchase both volumes, that is up to you.
- 751 pages
- Each family line traced down to the present day when possible.
Numerous Photographs, maps
- Chapter 1 - The George Family (3 pages)
- Chapter 2 - Col. John George (1603) and wife Jane Cole and wife
Ann of Isle of Wight Co., VA (17 pages).
- Chapter 3 - Isaac George (1636) and Hester Fawdon of Isle of
Wight Co., VA (11 pages).
- Chapter 4 - Robert George (1666) and Sarah of Middlesex Co., VA
- Chapter 5 - John George (1704) and Mary Jordan and Ursula Dudley
of Caroline Co., VA (126 pages).
- Chapter 6 - James George (c1734) and Elizabeth Noden of
Pittsylvania Co., VA (59 pages).
- Chapter 7 - James Jordan George (1761) and Elizabeth Pemberton
and Nancy Dugger of TN (73 pages).
- Chapter 8 - Charles Noden George (1791) and Celia Smith of TN
and Graham Co., NC (74 pages).
- Chapter 9 - Lafayette George (1830) and Rachel B. Hensley of TN
and Graham Co., NC (23 pages).
- Chapter 10 - Thomas Jefferson George (1862) and Elvira Carpenter
of Graham Co., NC (50 pages).
- Chapter 11 - Other George Families in the Area. In this chapter
I document quite a few other George families that lived in close
proximity to my own Georges, but aren't related as far as can be
proven (49 pages).
- Chapter 12 - Related Family Lines. In this chapter I document
several families that are closely related to my George ancestors,
including: Cole, Fawdon, Jordan, Noden, Dudley, Pemberton, Smith (of
Carter Co., TN), Dugger, Hensley and Wright (71 pages).
- Bibliography, Glossary, etc. Full Index.
- 348 pages
- Appendix A - Explanation of Records Used. I explain census
records, deeds, and other types of evidence used to compile the
- Appendix B - Primary Source Documentation. Land records, Wills,
Estates, Pension Files, tax records, etc.
- Appendix C - Correspondence. Numerous personal letters from the
1700's and 1800's.
- Appendix D - Family Records and Miscellaneous Source
Documentation. Bibles, journals, earlier family histories, etc. Also
a commentary on the George Surname DNA Project.
- Appendix E - George Papers in the Library of Virginia.
Explanation and Inventory of those records.
- Full Index.
- Physical Details:
- Edition: Vol. I: Second (12 Nov 2006); Vol II: First (28 Aug
- Binding: Hard Bound
- Pages: Vol. I: 751; Vol II: 348.
- Size: 8.5 x 11 in.
- Library of Congress Control Number: 2008274903
Click here to find this book in a library near you.
(Note, if your local library doesn't have a copy and you think
they'd benefit from it, please buy them one!)
To Order Online (Printed or Download):
You may order from the publisher and pay via Credit Card, Debit Card or PayPal.
They do not accept cash, check or money orders. Click below to order
online or to preview the book. Unfortunately the books can't be purchased as one combined
item, so if you want both, you'll have to put them into your cart
Volume I, Printed Book, $43.00
Volume I, E-Book (PDF), $10.00
Volume II, Printed Book, $33.00
Volume II, E-Book (PDF), $10.00
To Order via Snail-Mail
(Printed Edition only):
If you wish to pay by check or money order you must
order it from me via snail-mail. Send the money to me at: Marty Grant, 3291 Alton Phillips Road,
Kinston, NC 28504. The price for snail-mail orders includes shipping and
handling. Once your check has cleared I will order the book(s) for you and
have it shipped to your address. Volume I by itself:
$49.00, Volume II by
itself: $38.00, both
Allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.